Am I an adult yet?

Wednesday, October 12, 2005

Bulk discount

People are rough, moreso when they are trying to save some money. A woman walked into the store today asking about jewelry boxes, and my mom and I proceeded to open up a box of brand new jewelry boxes that we had just gotten in. We dug through a couple dozen boxes to help her find what she wanted. We printed out the tags just for her. Then she said she'd think about it and left. 20 minutes later she came back and decided she wanted three jewelry boxes. These are not cheap, I admit, but I am generally of the mindset that if you don't want to pay for it or can't afford it, then don't buy it. Instead, she attempts to haggle the price with my mom. For brand new, not even out on the floor yet, silk jewelry boxes. My mom grudgingly offered five percent, and this woman tries to push for ten, "I'd really appreciate it, it would be very nice. On sale, they'd be at least 20 percent off, and I'm not asking for anything like that." I'm sorry, does the front entrace of the store look like a driveway, and are we suddenly at a garage sale? She finally agrees to the five percent. Keep haggling. Working retail and foodservice at the same time is maybe not the best idea, I get to see people at their worst/most ridiculous every day. Let's all learn the lesson that you learn someone's true character from how they treat the retail clerk/waitress.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home