Am I an adult yet?

Wednesday, September 28, 2005

The Christmas Pickle

"The last ornament to be hidden on the tree on Christmas Eve brings a special gift to the child who finds it on Christmas morning." Thus says the packaging on the Christmas Pickles that I just unpacked at my mom's store. It's apparently an old German tradition (also stated on the packaging). It's a pickle in a mason jar with holly around the top. I think it may be kind of fabulous.

I have been unpacking Christmas stuff for a couple of weeks. It's adorable. I am frightened. It's September, Christmas is still several months away. Luckily, after I unpacked and priced 13 gigantic boxes, it all went down to the basement, so I won't have to face any Christmas until at least Halloween. Love the retail mindset. I've seen Christmas displays at several department stores already. Soon Christmas in July won't be a fun novelty thing that people do at offices and summer camps to keep things interesting, it'll just be the way things are. So unspecial.

And as I am trying to ignore the retail world's calendar, I am supporting Halloween by eating candy pumpkins non-stop. Pure, unadulterated, orange and green sugar. Yes.

2 Comments:

Blogger Movie Maven said...

we had those pickles at lands' end, too...so traditional.

8:16 AM

 
Blogger Rachel said...

luh dose pickles. eyeyyye

9:50 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home